City of Durand Boards Accepting Applicants
The City of Durand has a number of boards consisting of city residents and interested parties. Below you will find a list of boards that are currently seeking applicants and an online application form. Please use the application form to describe how your experience aligns with the needs or qualifications of the board for which you are applying. The following boards are seeking new members to fill vacancies:
- Zoning Board of Appeals: The ZBA hears and rules on requests for variances from the Zoning Ordinance. The board only meets as needed and members must be city residents. Desired qualifications include knowledge of architecture, building/construction, land use, planning, and/or real estate law.
- Downtown Development Authority: The DDA provides beautification and other support services to downtown businesses. Members must be property owners or business operators located within the DDA district. Knowledge of business services, marketing, or business development is helpful.
The following boards do NOT currently have any vacancies:
- Planning Commission: The PC is charged with reviewing site plans for compliance with the City's Master Plan and Zoning Ordinance. The PC also reviews and updates the Master Plan as needed. Members must be residents of the city. An ideal candidate will have experience in one or more area of architecture, building/construction, civil engineering, land use, planning, and/or real estate.
- Parks and Recreation: The Parks and Rec committee plans activities and coordinates up-keep and improvements to area parks. There is no residency requirement for this board. Ideal candidates will have an interest in community planning, recreation, athletics, and/or beautification.
- Board of Review: The Board of Review hears requests from property owners pertaining to their appraised and taxable values. Members must be residents of the city. An Ideal candidate will have knowledge of real estate sales, pricing, and/or development in either residential or commercial sectors.
Durand City Council Elections
Every two years a portion of the positions on the Durand City Council are up for election. In 2024, four of the seven elected official positions will be up for election.
Petitions are available for City Council positions to be elected at the Even Year City of Durand Election to be held November of 2024. Petitions can be picked up at the City of Durand Administrative Offices during business hours. You may also contact city hall at (989)-288-3113 or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org to make arrangements to pick up your council petition packet. There are three council seats assigned to each Precinct I and Precinct II that serve a four year term. There is one at-large position that serves a two year term.
Precinct I includes all city properties to the west, including the west side of Saginaw Street; Precinct II includes all city properties to the east, including the east side of Saginaw Street. Council-at-Large represents all residents of the City of Durand.
Qualifications for interested citizens to circulate petitions for a vacant seat on the Durand City Council include the following:
- 18 years of age
- registered, active voter of the City of Durand
- resident of the City of Durand for a minimum of 2 years
All questions regarding circulating and filing petitions for the City of Durand Even Year Election should be directed to Mindy McKay, City Clerk at (989)288-3113 or by email to email@example.com.